THE TREASURY BUILDING
The Treasury Building in Port-of-Spain
This original Treasury Building was constructed by British Governor Sir Lewis Grant in 1831. This building housed the “Treasury and Government Rum Bond” and became historic not only because Sir Lewis Grant lived here, making it a Government House, but also, because it was from here that the succeeding Governor, George Fitzgerald Hill, declared the abolition of slavery on August 1st, 1838. On June 25th, 1932 the original Treasury Building was destroyed by fire.
The new Treasury Building was designed by the British architect, Hubert Brinsley, and its foundation stone was laid in 1936. Construction of the building was completed in 1938. In the past, agencies such as the General Post Office, Central Bank and Auditor General’s Department shared the premises with the Treasury Division of the Ministry of Finance. However, since 1986, it has been solely occupied by the Treasury Division.