HOLY TRINITY CATHEDRAL
The Holy Trinity Cathedral
The Holy Trinity Cathedral, one of Port-of-Spain’s oldest landmarks and the first Anglican Church in Trinidad, was originally built to cater for British forces on the island. The Cathedral which exists today reflects Georgian and Gothic architecture; it is supported by hammer-beams of carved mahogany and splendid stained-glass windows. The foundation stone was laid on Trinity Sunday in 1816; it was completed in 1818 and consecrated on May 25th, 1823. The original Trinity church was a wooden structure that was destroyed by fire in 1808.