Enjoy the flavours of a Trini Christmas, wherever you are, by adding a twist to our holiday favourite known as sorrel, to create the Trinbagonian Sorrel Collins Cocktail. Next time you #visitTrinidad during the Christmas season, be sure to order a seasonal cocktail featuring locally-made sorrel.
Recipes & Videos Credit: Foodie Nation
COCKTAIL RECIPE & METHOD
- 1 1/2 oz. Tanqueray Gin
- 3/4 oz. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 oz. Sorrel Syrup (infused with Cloves and Honey)
- Club Soda (for topping)
- Misting of Orange Bitters
- Shake all ingredients (except Club Soda) with ice, and double strain over ice block.
- Garnish: Lemon Twist and Dehydrated Sorrel
RECIPE & METHOD
- 20 Red Sorrel Pods (dried)
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks (no Cinnamon Powder)
- 8 Whole Cloves (no Clove Powder)
- 1 small stick All Spice Bark (no All Spice Powder)
- 1 small piece Ginger Root (no Ginger Powder)
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 small Strip Fresh Lemon Peel
- 1 small Strip Fresh Orange Peel
- 1 teaspoon Clear Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Honey
- Bring 3 cups of water to a boil, add Cinnamon Sticks, Cloves, All Spice Bark, Ginger Root and Bay Leaves. Cover and let simmer for 15 – 20 minutes on slow heat.
- Add Sorrel and Bay Leaves, and allow to simmer in the “spiced water” for an additional 20 minutes, stirring in the Granulated Sugar, until a Sorrel Reduction is achieved.
- Remove from heat and gently stir in Honey.
- Allow concentrate to steep overnight with Citrus Peels.
- Strain using a sieve.
- Add clear Vanilla Extract (to taste).
- Bottle and refrigerate immediately