Overhead view of the Toco Lighthouse
This 70 feet high, white stone lighthouse stands impressively against blue skies on the North-eastern coast of Trinidad. It was built in October 1867 and overlooks a turbulent stretch of water known as the Fisherman’s Graveyard where the Atlantic Ocean and Caribbean Sea meet. The Galera Point Lighthouse in Toco was officially opened on November 1897 and was originally equipped with a kerosene light which shone through a revolving lens with 4,000,000 candelas. The light has since been replaced with a more modern beacon to guide ships safely around the surrounding lands.